Header
St Gregorys Bedale

Details of St. Mary's

The sturdy fortified tower built in the early 14th Century is a good example of its type and is the sole remaining feature of the original church. It now contains the clock erected in 1896. The bells dating from 1694, 1712 and 1825 are no longer swung but the clappers are activated for services. The nave and chancel in the perpendicular style are of Victorian construction and the North Aisle houses the Octagonal font on a rectangular plinth.

The North Aisle roof has 8 vividly decorated hatchments, an interesting feature of the church primarily erected in memory of members of the Dodsworth family of Thornton Hall.

The North Transept is the memorial chapel of the Dodsworth family with its stained glass windows depicting Faith, Charity and Hope. Below the transept lies the family vault.

To the East end of the nave is the lectern constructed from a four winged carving that once acted as the figurehead of a sailing vessel and was adapted by local craftsmen. The chancel houses the East window depicting the Ascension and the highly decorated organ dated 1896.

The South trancept is the memorial chapel of the Curzon Howe family of Clifton Castle.

Throughout are memorial plaques to the many people who have devoted their lives to the service of the church and the Music window, erected in memory of the Choirmaster, Christopher Clarke who served for 55 years, shows St Cecelia, the patron saint of musicians and the Psalmist David.

The churchyard is an environmental haven, with numerous wild flowers and shrubs flourishing.


St Mary's
Webpage icon St Mary's